I got some totally sweet size 1 dpn’s from Tim’s mom for Christmas. So, I decided to make me some socks. In the process I discovered that these are the most slippery needles I own… but it made things interesting!
So far I have made one sock. The pattern is called Dublin Bay (link is down on the left in the sidebar.) I’ve made one pair of socks before, but they were only ankle socks, so much less knitting.
Yarn (if it isn’t obvious from the picture) is Paton’s Kroy Socks in Crayon Jacquard. The above picture was taken just before I started decreasing for the gusset. I wanted to share an in-progress picture so you could see my pretty new needles.
And here is one sock. Aren’t you loving the stripey goodness? I messed up the ribbing decided to change from a 1×1 rib in the pattern to a 2×2. (Ok, so I left the pattern on my desk at work and guessed. I think it worked out just fine.) This gave me two extra stitches, but I decreased them out in the first round after the ribbing, so no harm was done.
I like that these socks are relatively plain, but have a nice little pattern for a few stitches down each side of the leg. I tried to get a good picture of it, but this was the best I could do:
As I was knitting, I kept thinking to myself that I was going to run out of yarn. I was so sure of it that I decided to buy one more ball (I had two, one for each sock). Well, it turns out I’ll have an extra ball, but once you see how much I had left, you’ll understand why I was so nervous!
That is 7 yards of yarn right there people, 7! Damn, I’m good. Of course, now I have an odd ball of sock yarn, but I’m sure I can find something to do with it!
Second sock will be coming soon, right after I finish another Pippi hat that I promised our awesome secretary. I’m a few rows in, and will probably finish most of it tonight.