Ok, so it turned out to be closer to about 40 bottles, but still, it seems like a ton!
To start, we cracked open the fermenting bucket – and were greeted with this skeevy looking stuff floating on top – leftover yeasty crap and foamy bits from the fermentation. We measured the alcohol content (can you see the white glass tube thing sticking out of the liquid?) and it was about 3-4%. Not bad.
To the bottling bucket we added some priming sugar that had been dissolved in boiling water. This sugar will get chewed up by the yeast in the sealed bottles, producing carbon dioxide – this carbonates the beer!
We siphoned the beer in the fermenting bucket to the bottling bucket, thus removing the skeeviness.
We tasted a tiny bit of the beer that we siphoned. It tasted like… wait for it… warm, flat beer! But, not that bad for warm flat beer. Also, we sanitized some caps.
The bottling bucket has a spigot on the bottom of it, which attaches to a hose. At the end of the hose attaches a wand. At the end of the wand there is this nifty little stopper like thing – it only lets liquid out if it is pressed up against something – like the bottom of the bottle. Genius!
Luckily, we had washed and sanitized about 60 bottles, plenty for the amount of beer we made.
Add a cap and you have a bottle of beer, yipee! I wish I had taken a picture of the capping thingy. It was probably the most fun part of the process. I guess you’ll just have to take my word on that!
The beer will take two weeks minimum before it is ready to drink – it will probably be about a month before it starts to get really good. It’s okay though, we have enough to try a little bit at each interval!